Skagit County, Washington

Global Menu

Skagit County, Washington

Skagit County Logo

December 19, 2016

Skagit County approves 2017 operating budget

Skagit County formally approved its 2017 operating budget today. The Board of County Commissioners unanimously voted to pass the $219.9 million budget.

The approved 2017 budget represents a 1.9 percent increase from the 2016 budget, due in part to additional staffing and increased costs for essential services. The 2017 budget adds 21 positions, and includes a 1 percent property tax increase for each of the County’s general fund, road fund, conservation futures and emergency medical services levies.

Significant budget highlights for 2017 include investments in the County’s new jail, expected to open in late spring 2017, construction of a new Burlington Northern overpass on Old Highway 99 north of Cook Road, and design investments toward replacement of the Guemes Island Ferry, possibly by an all-electric vessel.

The general fund, which supports 27 County departments and most regional services, accounts for roughly 25 percent of the total budget, or $54.2 million. The remaining 75 percent of the budget comes from a combination of special revenue, debt service and capital funds. The County also retains a 16.7 percent general fund reserve, or roughly $9.5 million.

Find more information about the budget online here.  For questions or more details, please contact Budget and Finance Director Trisha Logue at trishal@co.skagit.wa.us or 360-416-1305.