Superior Court

Global Menu

Superior Court

Mission Statement

The mission of Skagit County Superior Court is to deliver fair, prompt, and understandable resolutions of legal disputes. We will provide equal access to justice and treat participants professionally, impartially and respectfully.

Appointment of New Skagit County Superior Court Commissioner

SKAGIT COUNTY, WA – The Skagit County Superior Court is pleased to announce the appointment of Heather Shand as the new Superior Court Commissioner. Heather received a B.A. in Sociology with a Minor in Society and Justice at the University of Washington in June 1998. She then received her Juris Doctor degree from Gonzaga University School of Law in December 2000. Heather also earned a Master of Law degree from the University of Washington specializing in Taxation in June 2004.  

Heather has previously served as Pro-Tem Judge for District Court and Pro-Tem Commissioner for Superior Court. She also has experience in family law, including adoptions, guardianships, probates, business, taxation and estate planning.

A swearing-in ceremony is scheduled for Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 3:30 PM in Courtroom Two at the Skagit County Superior Court in Mount Vernon.

Superior Court Handles the Following Cases:

Felony Criminal
Dissolution and Custody
Juvenile Court Proceedings
Paternity Cases/Adoption Matters
Mental Commitment Proceedings


Brian L. Stiles, Judge
Department 1

Laura M. Riquelme, Judge
Department 2

David A. Svaren, Judge
Department 3

Dave Needy, Judge
Department 4

Court Commissioners

James B. Dolan
Heather Shand

Superior & Juvenile Court Administrator

Lisa West

All court records and documents are maintained in the Skagit County Clerk's Office.
Please call that office directly at (360) 416-1800 for all related inquiries about the court file.

Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
205 W. Kincaid, Room 202
Mount Vernon, WA 98273 
Phone: (360) 416-1200

September 1, 2019
Changes only

 Do you need an interpreter?
English and Spanish

 Do you Need a Lawyer to Help with your Case?
English | Spanish