Solid Waste Division

Global Menu

Solid Waste Division

Division Manager: Margo Gillaspy

The Small Quantity Generator Program (SQG) is for small businesses that generate less than 220 pounds of most types of chemical wastes per month and store no more than 2,200 pounds, or generate or store less than 2.2 pounds of some extremely hazardous chemicals. These wastes must be properly disposed of (WAC 173-303, Dangerous Waste Regulations). Phone for information and technical assistance.

STAFF: Ron Peiterson, Moderate Risk Hazardous Waste Technician
Skagit County Recycling & Transfer Station
14104 Ovenell Road, Mount Vernon
PHONE NUMBER: (360) 416-1580
COST: Depends on the types of chemical waste that you have


What is the Small Quantity Generator (SQG) Program?

State and Federal law requires businesses to properly manage and dispose of their chemical wastes. These wastes are normally called "hazardous wastes," and include paints, acids, poisons, antifreeze, brake fluid, solvents, photographic materials, and many other chemicals. If your business qualifies as a "Small Quantity Generator", you may dispose of these chemicals through the Skagit County SQG Program.

Who qualifies as an SQG?

Businesses that generate less than 220 pounds of most types of chemical wastes (usually about 25 gallons) per month and store no more than 2200 pounds, or generates or store less than 2.2 pounds of some extremely hazardous chemical wastes, are exempt from many hazardous waste regulations provided, among other things, that these wastes are properly disposed of. If your business has less than these amounts of chemical wastes, the SQG Program may be able accept your wastes for proper disposal. Call if you are unsure if your business qualifies.

How does the SQG Program work?

The Skagit County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center, located at the Skagit County Transfer and Recycling Station, 14104 Ovenell Road, Mt. Vernon, will accept SQG chemical wastes on the third Wednesday of each month, from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Bring your chemical wastes in safe, labeled, leak proof containers. You will need to accurately identify your chemicals. We are unable to accept any unknown waste and by law we cannot accept your chemical wastes if you do not qualify as an SQG. We will inventory your wastes, receive them from you, and give you a receipt for your files that will prove that your business properly disposed of its chemicals.

How much will the SQG Program cost?

Cost will depend on what types of chemicals you have. Payment can be made by cash, check, or pre-established charge account. Checks are preferred; credit cards are not accepted.

What else should I know?

Bring your small quantities of chemical wastes every month to the SQG Program. If you accumulate more than the eligible amounts, your business will not qualify as an SQG and will be a fully regulated generator of hazardous wastes. What does this mean? This means that before you can dispose of these chemicals, your business will need to get an Environmental Protection Agency I.D. number, have the Department of Ecology visit for an inspection, report annually, complete a lot of paperwork, and use an environmental firm to transport your wastes for disposal.

Store your chemicals safely. Always keep containers labeled. We can't dispose of your chemicals unless we know what they are. Call ahead if you don't know what you have and we'll tell you what to do.

Transport your chemicals safely in good containers with good labels.

Call the Department of Ecology at 425 649-7000 and ask for a copy of WAC 173-303, Dangerous Waste Regulations. This is the law and it will answer your questions. If you have questions, we'll help you interpret it.

Who do I call with questions?

Call Ron Peiterson, Moderate Risk Hazardous Waste Technician at 416-1580. He will answer all of your questions and is also available for site visits for any kind of technical assistance.