Solid Waste Division

Global Menu

Solid Waste Division

Division Manager: Margo Gillaspy


What is the Small Quantitv Generator (SQG) Program?
State and Federal law requires businesses to properly manage and dispose of their chemical wastes; these wastes are normally called 'hazardous wastes,' and include paints, acids, poisons, antifreeze, brake fluid, solvents, photographic materials, and many other chemicals. If your business qualifies as a 'Small Quantity Generator,' you may dispose of these chemicals through the Skagit County SQG Program.

Who qualifies as an SQG?
Businesses that generates less than 220 pounds of most types of chemical wastes (usually about 25 gallons) per month and stores no more than 2200 pounds, or generates or store less than 2.2 pounds of some extremely hazardous chemical wastes, are exempt from many hazardous waste regulations provided, among other things, that these wastes are vro~erlv disposed of If your business has less than these amounts of chemical wastes, the SQG Program may be able accept your wastes for proper disposal for less money and less time. Call if you are unsure if your business qualifies.

How does the SQG Program work?
The Skagit County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center, located at the Skagit County Transfer and Recycling Station, 14104 Ovenell Road, Mt. Vernon, will accept SQG chemical wastes on the third Wednesday of each month, from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Bring your chemical wastes in safe, labeled, leak proof containers; we will need you to accurately identify your chemicals. We are unable to accept any unknown wastes, and by law we cannot accept your chemical wastes if you do not qualify as an SQG. We will inventory your wastes, receive them from you, and give you a receipt for your files that will prove that your business properly disposed of their chemicals.

How much will the SQG Program cost?
Cost will depend on what types of chemicals you have.  Payment can be made by cash, check, pre-established charge account, VISA and MasterCard.  Checks are preferred.

What else should I know?
Bring your small quantities of chemical wastes every month to the SQG Program; if you accumulate more than the eligible amounts, your business will not qualify as an SQG and will be a fully regulated generator of hazardous wastes. What does this mean? Before you can dispose of these chemicals, your business will need to get an EPA 1.D. number; have the Department of Ecology visit for a helpful inspection; perform annual reporting; complete a lot of extra paperwork; and use an environmental firm to transport your wastes for disposal. At twice the cost and ten times the time. Store your chemicals safely; always keep containers labeled since identifying chemicals at a lab is expensive. We can't dispose of your chemicals unless we know what they are. Call ahead if you don't know what you have and we'll help you out. Transport your chemicals safely; good containers, good labels good common sense. Call the Department of Ecology at 649-7000 and ask for a copy of WAC 173-303, Dangerous Waste Regulations; this is the law, it will answer your questions, and we'll help you interpret it.

Who do I call with questions?
Call your Hazardous Waste Specialist at 360-416-1580; he will answer all of your questions and is also available for site visits for any kind of technical assistance.