Environmental Health

Director: Jennifer Johnson


Solid Waste and Hazardous Waste

Select to expand
Garbage Storage and Disposal
Business and household garbage (non-recyclable waste that will decay over time) must be stored in solid, covered, leak proof, water tight containers and removed from a property at least every two weeks. Improper storage and disposal of garbage can cause odors, pollution, and attract disease causing vectors like flies and rodents. Garbage must be disposed at a permitted solid waste facility. Information on permitted facilities can be found through Public Works Solid Waste Division [more]
Household Hazardous Waste
Many chemicals that you may use or have stored in and around your household can need special disposal as hazardous waste. [more]
Waste Medicines and Biohazardous Waste
Avoid medicine accumulation. Make sure your doctor and pharmacist are only supplying you with medications you will use. Decline free samples unless you know it is a medication you can use and in a quantity you can use. Review your medicines frequently and remove those that will not be used. [more]
EnviroStars and Business Pollution Prevention
Home Page | Learn how to prevent pollution from your business activities. From auto body shops to veterinary clinics, we can help you handle your wastes correctly and protect stormwater from contamination. Be a pollution prevention star today!
Solid and Hazardous Waste Emergency Storage and Disposal
Natural disasters can lead to huge needs for solid and hazardous waste disposal. Normal transportation and disposal options will very likely be compromised, leading to delays in disposal. Emergency Management, Public Works Departments, and the Health Department will work to select safe intermediate solid waste disposal locations until the system can return to normal. [more]
Closed Landfills
In Skagit County, as in many areas of the country, solid waste was historically placed out of sight in low areas, such as down river banks, in tidal flats, or in old gravel pits. [more]