Clerk's Office

Global Menu

Clerk's Office

Skagit County Clerk: Melissa Beaton

Frequently Asked Questions

A. General Questions:

  1. Where is the County Clerks Office, what hours is it open?
    The Office of the County Clerk is located in the County Courthouse at 205 West Kincaid, Room 103, Mount Vernon, WA 98273. The office is open to the public from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
  2. What does it cost to file a lawsuit in the Superior Court?
    The filing fees for Superior Court matters are established by the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) and vary based on the type of case being filed. For a listing of filing fees refer to the Fee Schedule.
  3. What is the date, time and/or place of my court hearing?
    Information regarding hearings in Superior Court is available from the County Clerks Office by calling (360) 416-1800, or by accessing
  4. How and where do I set a court date?
    A court date for a Superior Court case may be set by filing a Calendar Note with the Clerk of the Superior Court.
  5. Where do I file court documents?
    Documents for Superior Court cases may be filed in person in the Clerks Office or by mailing them to the above address.
  6. Where do I get a domestic violence protection order or anti-harassment order?
    Petitions for domestic violence protection orders may be obtained at the County Clerks Office in the Courthouse, and Petitions for anti-harassment orders may be obtained from Skagit County District Court.
  7. How much are copies and how do I get them?
    Copies of documents filed in Superior Court cases may be obtained from the County Clerks Office. Certified copies cost $5.00 for the first page of the document and $1.00 for each additional page. The cost for non-certified documents is $.25 per page. You may call the clerks office at (360) 416-1800 and order copies to be sent electronically to you through Official Payments.
  8. How do I get a criminal/juvenile conviction vacated and sealed?
    Forms and instructions are available in the County Clerks Office that may be used to file a petition with the Superior Court.
  9. How do I find a lawyer?
    If you think you are eligible for pro bono legal assistance, please contact CLEAR at 1-888-201-1014. You may also  look for information about local lawyers on the Skagit County Bar Association’s website  at or the attorney directory listed on the Washington State Bar Association’s website at
  10. Do you accept checks, debit cards or credit cards?
    Please be prepared to pay by cash, money order or cashier check. No personal checks are accepted. Payments by Debit Cards and Credit Cards with a Visa, MasterCard, Discovery or American Express logo are also accepted through Official Payments (convenience fee applies) for Legal Financial Obligations, copies and filing fees.
  11. Where do you record deeds, mortgages, liens, surveys, marriage licenses, etc.? At the Skagit County Auditors Office.


B. Dissolution of Marriage Questions:

  1. How do I file for a dissolution in Skagit County?
    If you are filing for a dissolution and are not represented by an attorney, you can obtain a packet of forms and instructions at the Clerks Office for a fee, or you may download forms from the Administrator for the Courts. Please see the information contained under Pro Se Litigants, Representing Yourself.
  2. How do I modify custody or child support?
    Modifications of custody or child support require that a Summons and Petition to Modify Parenting Plan or Child Support, with a filing fee, be filed with the Clerks Office and a court hearing be set to hear the petition. The forms, worksheets and instructions required may be obtained from the Clerks Office for a fee.
  3. How do I register a Domestic Partnership?
    Domestic Partnership are registered with the Secretary of States Office in Olympia. For more information go to the following site for forms and instructions:

C. Probate and Guardianship:

  1. What is a probate?
    Probate is the process of transferring property when a person dies. There is an informative pamphlet online posted by the Washington State Bar Association.
  2. Where do I find forms for establishing a guardianship and for guardianship accounting?
    Forms are available at the Clerks Office.

D. Legal Financial Obligations/Fees & Restitution:

  1. I am current with my payments and have a Financial Review coming up; do I have to come to court?
    Contact the Collections Clerk at (360) 416-1820 to be excused from court.
  2. I have not received a billing statement. What should I do?
    Contact the Collections Clerk at (360)
    416-1820 to see if we have your current address. Also, some cases are not eligible for billings to be sent out. You are responsible for making monthly payments and will need to remember to make them if you do not receive a statement.
  3. Where do I send my payments?

    Payments can be mailed to:
    Skagit County Clerk
    205 West Kincaid Street, Room 103
    Mount Vernon, WA 98273

    Make sure to include your cause/case number on the money order/cashiers check. Please Note Personal checks are not accepted.

  4. Can I pay with a personal check? No. Personal Checks are not accepted.
    You can send money order or cashiers check, or pay by debit or credit card:

    Credit Card payments may be made online through nCourt, There is a service fee for processing payment(s) online or over the phone. The total charge amount will be displayed prior to submitting the payment. To make a payment by phone, please call (877) 793-8935 Mon-Fri 7am-9pm and Sat-Sun 9am-6pm EST.

    Once you have submitted your payment, you will receive an email letting you know if the court has accepted or rejected your payment.

  5. What if I cannot make my full payment?
    Pay as much as you can and then try to make up the difference the following month. If you are not able to have your case current by the following month, contact the Collections Clerk to discuss the matter.
  6. How do I find my case number?
    Go to Washington Courts Web site at to search for your case number.
  7. I missed my court date, what should I do?
    Call the Collections Clerk at (360)
  8. I have a bench warrant for failing to appear at a Financial Review Hearing, what can I do?
    Contact the Collection Clerk at (360)
    416-1820 for possible resolution.