Located in La Conner
"Come to the top of the hill for a spectacular view of Skagit County history"
Gilmore Bros. Mercantile
Store on Edison, WA, 1888
William Gilmore, a native of Ireland, came to Edison from Seattle in 1882
and bought out the store of A.J. Edwards. It was the only merchant store
in the area for years. After his death in 1900, his sons changed the name
of the store to Gilmore Bros & Co. Notice the boats next to the buildings.
The store was located along the Edison Slough. At high tide, medium-sized
boats could go up to the back of the store. It sold a wide variety of
goods to local farmers on the Samish Flats.
to the Gallery