Environmental Health

Global Menu

Environmental Health

Director: Jennifer Johnson

Health Alerts
Protect your family and your community
Unused, unwanted and/or expired medicines in your home pose a risk to you, your family and your community.
  • Drug Abuse.   The home medicine cabinet is one of the most common places for people to go when looking for drugs to get high.
  • Accidental Poisoning.   Many young children get poisoned by taking medicine not intended for them.
  • Bad for the Environment.   When medicines are flushed down the toilet or thrown in the trash, it pollutes our water and soil.
Food Handler testing hours
Washington State Food Handler card testing is available 24 hours a day on-line at www.foodworkercard.wa.gov.  Effective March 1, 2016 testing at Skagit County Public Health Department, 700 South 2nd Street in Mount Vernon, will be available the 2nd Tuesday and 4th Thursday of each month at 8:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m., and 2:30 p.m. with prior appointment only.  Call (360) 416-1500 if you need to schedule testing during one of these times. 

Testing hours at the East County Community Resource Center, 45770 A Main Street, Concrete WA, remain unchanged and are Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., no appointment is needed. More information on Food Handler Cards and Training

From caramel apples to walnuts be aware of food safety recalls.  Update yourself with Washington State Department of Health’s Recall News

Bat Exposure
Home page | Bats can carry rabies.  Avoid contact with bats.
Drinking Water
Planning & Development Services now handles water availability review.
Drinking Water Safety
Home page | Keep drinking water safe in an emergency.
Public Health Emergency Preparedness and Response
Home Page | Help your family, friends, and workplace be prepared and safely survive an earthquake, flood, or other emergency event. Understand the role of Environmental Public Health in responding to an emergency.
Food Safety
Home Page | Are you interested in starting a food service, selling food at a market or an event, holding a fund raiser, or just want to serve safe food in your home? Find out about permitting requirements for serving food to the public and many food safety topics.
On Site Sewage Program
Home Page | Obtain the information you need to understand, protect, and maintain your on-site septic system. Treating sewage properly on your property prevents pollution of our waterways!
Recreational Water
Home Page | Toxic algae blooms in lakes, beach water quality, swimming pool permitting.
Shellfish Safety
Home Page | Learn about where to harvest shellfish free from biotoxins and bacterial pollutants and what you can do to ensure the safety of marine waters.
Solid and Hazardous Waste
Home Page | Understand the requirements for storing, disposing, composting, or recycling the waste streams that your home or business may produce. Submit concerns or questions on illegal dumping or garbage accumulation.
Vectors, Living Environments, and Animal Bites
Home Page | Critters in our natural environment and inside our homes and work spaces can impact our health.

The following Environmental Health services are available at the main Public Health office at 700 South 2nd Street in downtown Mount Vernon. Our main phone number is 360-416-1500:

  • Food permit applications and payments
  • Food worker cards
  • Shellfish safety
  • Pools & spas
  • Recreational waters- safe swimming and toxic algae
  • Garbage or junk vehicle complaints
  • Solid waste & toxics compliance and education
  • Bats and other Vectors

If you need on-site septic system permitting and information, these Environmental Health services are available at 1800 Continental Place, Mount Vernon.

new location
Enlarge View