Food Safety

Global Menu

Food Safety

Director: Jennifer Johnson


Public Health Food Safety
Permitting, Inspections, Illness Prevention and Investigation

700 South Second Street, Room 301
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Phone (360) 416-1500

Romaine Lettuce Health Alert
U.S. consumers should not eat any romaine lettuce and throw it away. [more]

Skagit County Public Health Department's Food Safety Program is responsible for inspecting and permitting retail food service establishments (FSE). Our mission is to prevent illnesses caused by improper preparation of food through foodworker education, consumer education, disease investigation, and inspections of everything from restaurants to high school concession stands.

Food Handler Cards and Training

The Washington State Food and Beverage Service Workers permit, also known as a Food Worker Card, is required in Washington State for people that serve unwrapped foods to the public. Upon completion of the food handler’s program, which includes an interactive informational program and a Washington State exam, a Food Workers Card will be issued. All food workers are required to have a valid Washington State Food Worker Card within 14 days of employment. There are four ways to receive your Food Worker Card in Skagit County: [More]

Annual Food Service Permits

Schedule of Charges

Wholesale vs. Retail
Wholesale foods (those processed or produced for resale by another vendor) require licensure outside of this Department. Please contact the Washington State Department of Agriculture, (360-902-1876) or
For sales across state lines, you may need to contact the US Food and Drug Administration or the USDA . (More)

Temporary Food Services Permits

Skagit County Public Health Department offers a temporary food service permits for sanctioned events.(More)

Food Borne Illness Information
Consumer Food Safety