Skagit County Corrections

Chief of Corrections: Charlie Wend

QUESTION: Can I bring or send an inmate writing material, clothing, books, etc?

ANSWER: No. Inmates can buy writing materials, underwear, playing cards, hygiene items etc, under our commissary program. Indigent inmates are still permitted to purchase a basic indigent pack, which includes paper, envelopes, etc. An inmates family or friends can also buy Health & Beauty Comfort packs, and Stationary Packs from the iCare Gift Services system.

QUESTION: Can I bring cookies (or any other food item) to an inmate?

ANSWER: No, nutritionally balanced meals are provided three times a day to all inmates. Inmates may also buy other snack type foods on commissary if they have money on their books. You may also use the iCare Gift Services system to order food packages for an inmate.

QUESTION: How can I get money to an inmate?

ANSWER: The Skagit County Jail accepts money for inmates 24 hours a day via the kiosk in the jail lobby. The kiosk accepts cash and credit/debit cards. Money orders and cashiers checks will be accepted through the mail. All money orders and cashiers checks must be made out to "Skagit County Jail". A money order or Cashiers Check made out to an inmate will be returned to sender. If the inmate owes money to the jail, any money placed on their account will be subject to a 60/40 split, with 40 percent being applied towards monies owed to the jail. The Skagit County Jail does not accept personal checks for application to inmates account, or for bail.

QUESTION: Can I call an inmate?

ANSWER: No, the Skagit County Jail does not permit incoming calls to inmates.

QUESTION: Can I get a message to an inmate?

ANSWER: No, the Skagit County Jail does not take messages for inmates.

QUESTION: Can an inmate have something notarized at the jail?

ANSWER: Notary services are not provided by the Skagit County Jail. Notaries are usually obtained by an inmate's attorney if needed.

QUESTION: When does an inmate go to court?

ANSWER: The inmate's first court appearance will be the first working day following their arrest. The Jail does not keep track of other court dates. You may call the court to find out about additional court dates.

QUESTION: My friend/family member is being held on an Investigative Hold. What does that mean?

ANSWER: An Investigative Hold, also known as a 72 hour hold, provides the arresting agency with time in which to investigate and file charges with the Prosecutor's Office. Bail amounts and a filing deadline will be set at the inmate's initial court appearance. The filing deadline is the day and time the inmate is to be released if formal charges are not filed with the court.

QUESTION: What happens to my money if I post bail?

ANSWER: Bail is held by the court until the case is over. If the defendant fails to appear for court, the bail may be forfeited. The Jail does not control what the court does with bail.

QUESTION: How much money do I have to put up for bail?

ANSWER: If a bail is bondable, you may contact a bail bond agency to assist you in posting the bail. The fees they charge vary depending on the bail bond agency. If you are paying cash, the entire amount must be paid. Cash and credit cards are accepted at the kiosk in the jail lobby for bail.

QUESTION: Can the Skagit County Jail recommend a bail bondsman or give me advice on what I should do?


QUESTION: How do I get an inmate released to visit a dying relative or attend a funeral?

ANSWER: This can only be done through an attorney and must be approved by a judge.

QUESTION: How can I find out who an inmate's attorney is?

ANSWER: Contact the Public Defenders Office, or contact the inmate.

QUESTION: Can I visit an inmate?

ANSWER: Visitation rules are posted on the Skagit County Jail web site. Visitors must comply with these rules. Visitors with warrants or active No Contact or Protection Orders will not be allowed to visit. Minors must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Proof of guardianship is required.

QUESTION: When can I visit?

ANSWER: Days and times are posted on the website.

QUESTION: How can I find out when an inmate is being transferred to another jail or prison?

ANSWER: This information is not released to the public for security reasons.

QUESTION: How can I apply for Electronic Home Monitoring, Work Release, Community Service or other Jail Alternative Programs?

ANSWER: Requirements and application procedures are posted on the Jail Alternatives website.

QUESTION: Can an inmate be released early?


QUESTION: Can an inmate release their keys, cell phone, wallet, etc to me?

ANSWER: No. Exceptions to this policy must be approved by the Shift Supervisor.