Skagit County, Washington

Global Menu

Skagit County, Washington

Skagit County Logo

September 25, 2016

Investigation continues in Burlington Mall shooting incident

On September 24, 2016, at approximately 6:30 p.m., officers arrested 20-year-old Arcan Cetin, an Oak Harbor man, in connection with yesterday’s shootings at the Cascade Mall.

Throughout the past 24 hours, investigators worked on numerous tips that came in from the public.  Investigators began pursuing the different leads, and one particular tip identified Cetin as a person of interest.  Investigators began interviewing family and associates who are familiar with the man, and it became more apparent he was likely connected to the shootings. 

Additionally, investigators reviewed security footage that had been gathered from area businesses around the Cascade Mall, and identified a suspect vehicle.  Detectives pursued this lead and it provided additional confirmation that the person of interest was involved in the shootings.

The new information was broadcast statewide to law enforcement.  At approximately 6:30 p.m., law enforcement officers in Island County observed the subject walking along a road; the suspect was taken into custody without incident.

No motive has been established at this time. Investigators are obtaining search warrants for the individual, his vehicle and residence.  Cetin’s vehicle was recovered in Island County and transported to a secure police impound at Mount Vernon Police Department.

Numerous local, state, and federal partners assisted with the original Burlington Police Department incident response and the Skagit Multi Agency Response Team (SMART) investigation. Island County Sheriff’s Office made the arrest, in coordination with the police departments of Oak Harbor, Burlington, and Mount Vernon. Earlier today, representatives from the FBI provided support liaisons to the victims’ families in order to keep them informed of progress in the investigation.

The Skagit County Coroner expects to release more information about the victims on Monday, Sept. 26.

Sergeant Keith Leary
Sergeant Mark Francis
Washington State Patrol