Welcome to Skagit County

Global Menu

Welcome to Skagit County

Skagit County Logo

April 30, 2020

Stay Home, Stay Healthy Updates from Skagit County

Ongoing COVID-19 Transmission in Skagit County
Today, Public Health reported 11 new laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19. Daily updates and total case counts are available at http://www.skagitcounty.net/coronavirus. Case counts are updated at 4 p.m.

As a reminder, we now send these newsletters out on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Household cleaning products can be dangerous
COVID-19 has many of us being extra diligent about cleaning and disinfecting our living spaces, but it’s important that to remember that chemical cleaning products can be dangerous if not used correctly. According to the Washington Poison Center, the number of exposures to household cleaning products, such as bleach or ammonia, is up 23 percent from this time in 2019. Many of these exposure are reportedly related to COVID-19 transmission concerns and cleaning.

While cleaning and disinfecting is important, you must do it safely:

  • Do not mix cleaning chemicals together. This can inadvertently produce a toxic gas.
  • Do not use bleach or hydrogen peroxide to wash hands, faces or bodies and don’t use Windex for anything but washing windows. This can cause allergic reactions and skin rashes.
  • Do not directly apply bleach or other household disinfectants to homemade masks. This can lead to the inhalation of toxic gasses. The CDC recommends washing your masks in the washing machine to keep them clean.
  • Do not leave your cleaning products in the open, or in unlocked cupboards where children or pets may be able to reach them.
  • Do not use household cleaning products, disinfectant wipes or dish soap to wash produce. Produce can absorb soap or chemicals. Eating soap can cause nausea, vomiting and gastrointestinal distress. Instead, rinse produce with cold running water, and use a scrub brush if needed to remove dirt or other residue.
  • Do not inject or ingest any cleaning or chemical product as a treatment for COVID-19. It definitely won’t work and may kill you.

If you, a child or a loved one accidentally ingests a household cleaning product, other chemical product or more than the prescribed or recommended amount of any medication call the Washington Poison Center at (800) 222-1222 to get free and confidential health treatment advice from nurses and pharmacists with special training in poison information.

Additional Resources