April 6, 2022
Family Resource Center connecting parents & caregivers to critical resources
Skagit County’s Help Me Grow – Family Resource Center is busier than ever providing reliable information, referrals to services, and application assistance for public programs to local parents and caregivers. Located at the Children’s Museum of Skagit County, the Center has been open since October 2020.
The Center is the brainchild of the Children’s Council of Skagit County. It is made possible by federal pandemic relief funding and partnerships with Skagit County Public Health, the Skagit Community Foundation, and private donors.
It is the goal of the Family Resource Center to make accessing help an easy process, so that families can quickly find what they need, when they need it, in the way that they need it. The Center serves Skagit County families with young children and those expecting a new baby.
“The Center is available to anyone who could benefit from a little extra help or connection,” said Jennifer Sass-Walton, Public Health’s Child & Family Health Manager. “Even if a family isn’t struggling to afford basic needs, there are so many other types of supports and services available.”
When you contact the Center, staff will use a screening form to determine need. From your call, online form, or email, staff can prepare a package to meet your specific needs. A new Skagit Family Resource Navigator is now available to guide parents and caregivers to the resources they need, serving as a central access point to connect families to community, regional and statewide services, and resources.
Whether parents are looking for connections with other parents, opportunities for fun and educational activities for their family, information about their child’s development or help applying for services, Help Me Grow Skagit will be able to help in many ways. Examples include:
- Basic Needs assistance: organizations that provide help with food, shelter, utilities, diapers
- Pregnancy & Breastfeeding Support: Pregnancy Connections nurse, WIC, Maternity Support Services, Welcome Baby, parent groups
- Child Care/Early Learning: child care and preschool options, play and learn groups, library story times, Kindergarten registration and more
- Family Support: parent coaches, support groups, warm lines, home visiting programs
- Health and Wellness: free/low-cost health care, dental care, family planning, mental health services and supports, recovery services
- Special Needs: services and supports for families of children with health and developmental concerns
- Family Fun: activities and events
People can connect with the Family Resource Center by phone or text at (360) 230-9129, or by email at email@example.com. For more information and for local resources, visit www.helpmegrowskagit.com.