Fire Marshal

Global Menu

Fire Marshal

Outdoor Burning


While we currently have no burn restrictions, we ask that everyone be safe with any recreational outdoor fires during this upcoming holiday.

  • Fire must be in an enclosure that is a minimum of 16 inches high, no wider than three feet
        across, and made of cement block, stones, or #10-gauge steel.
  • Burned material must be kept lower than the sidewalls of the enclosure.
  • The following must be always in the immediate vicinity of the enclosure and present during
        burning: A charged garden hose; two, five-gallon buckets of water; or a five-gallon Class-A fire
        extinguisher and a shovel.
  • Fires must be 25 feet from any standing timber or combustibles and there must be no tree
        branches within 15 feet above the enclosure.
  • There must be at least one person 16 years of age or older, in attendance always, who can extinguish the fire.

If you are within the city limits of any of the incorporated cities or towns, check with your city fire department for current burning restrictions. If you are camping or recreating on US Forest Service or State DNR-owned properties, contact them for the current burn regulations.

Please burn responsibly. Remember smoke, odor, or ash that unreasonably interferes with the use and enjoyment of neighboring properties is prohibited.


Campfire and Fire Pit
Safety Tips

Avoid Unnecessary Burning

So before starting an outdoor burn of any type, please consider the potential impacts on
your neighbors and on local emergency responders, and postpone or cancel your burn if

Also, avoid causing excessive smoke from wood-burning stoves used for home heating. The
Northwest Clean Air Agency has received a number of complaints about heavy woodstove

Illegal Burning
Only natural vegetation (leaves, grass and tree trimmings) may be burned. It is never legal to burn any of thefollowing:
  • garbage
  • household trash
  • lumber
  • building construction waste
  • demolition debris

Permit MapPermitted Burning
When a burn ban is not in effect, in unincorporated Skagit County (outside of urban growth areas), you may burn a pile four feet by four feet (or smaller) of natural vegetation without a permit. A burn permit from the Skagit County FireMarshal is required if you plan to burn a larger pile. Applicants can leave a message for the Deputy Fire Marshal at (360) 416-1840. The Fire Marshal will visit the site and issue a burn permit to eligible locations in the order they are received. A nominal fee consistent with the fee schedule is required.

Recycle Instead of Burning

Drop off your recyclables at any of the three Skagit County transfer stations, or visit for more information about other ways to recycle your waste.

Compost Your Yard Waste
An eco-friendly alternative to burning your yard waste is to drop it off for composting at these locations:

North Hill Resources
651 North Hill Boulevard
Burlington, WA 98233

Skagit Soils Inc,
13260 Ball Road
Mount Vernon

Sunland Bark & Topsoils
12469 Reservation Road

Recycle Your Construction Debris
Many types of construction waste (wood, concrete, drywall, asphalt, roofing, metals), can be recycled at these locations. Check each facility for the types of debris it accepts.

Lautenbach Industries / T&T Industries/Lauts Inc
13084 Ball Road
Mount Vernon

North Hill Resources
651 North Hill Boulevard
Burlington, WA 98233