Planning and Development Services
About the DepartmentThe Planning & Development Services Department is an administrative division of the County that reports to the Board of County Commissioners. Department functions include:
- advising the Board of County Commissioners and other departments regarding the Comprehensive Plan, land use planning and policy, and growth management;
- administering and enforcing the unified development code and building codes, including the fire code;
- providing administrative support to the Planning Commission; and
- performing environmental review pursuant to the State Environment Policy Act.
The department provides land use planning and permitting, code enforcement, and fire investigation and prevention functions.
- Department Organizational Chart (December 1, 2017)
The department’s acting director is County Administrator Tim Holloran. The director is responsible for:
- the proper operation of the department;
- employing, supervising, and dismissing department personnel;
- issuing decisions as the Administrative Official pursuant to SCC Title 14;
- issuing decisions as the SEPA Responsible Official pursuant to SCC Chapter 16.12;
- providing administrative and technical assistance to the Planning Commission.
The Building Official and Floodplain Manager since 2012 is Jack Moore, CBCO, CFM. The Building Official is responsible for decisions pursuant to the international building codes adopted by SCC Title 15.
The Skagit County Fire Marshal’s Office, an integral part of the Planning & Development Services Department, is staffed by two deputy fire marshals and several part-time on-call fire inspectors and duty officers. Jack Moore is the Fire Code Official responsible for decisions pursuant to the International Fire Code.