Office of Assigned Counsel
Director: Letty Alvarez-Gubitosi
HOW TO APPLY FOR PUBLIC DEFENDER REPRESENTATION:
1. The Public Defender's office represents only indigent people. You must meet certain financial guidelines to be appointed a Public Defender. If you qualify for a Public Defender, an attorney will be appointed to represent you for your current case in Superior and/or District Court.
2. You must come in person to the Office of Assigned Counsel at 205 W. Kincaid #305, Mount Vernon to apply for the public defender and complete the eligibility process. You will need to come in with your paperwork at least 3 business days prior to your next court date.
ARE CONDUCTED MONDAY-FRIDAY 8:30 - 11:30 A.M. & 1:00-4:00 P.M.
3. You MUST bring any of the following items which apply to you:
a) Any paperwork you receive from the court which should contain your case number and the date of your next court appearance.
b) Verification of employment (current pay stub), Unemployment, Labor and Industries, filed tax information. If married or living with a partner you must bring their employment/unemployment information as well.
c) Proof of any public assistance you receive (food stamps/medical coupon Verification, SSI information, VA Benefits).
d) Proof of expenses: medical/dental payments, collection agencies, rent/mortgage, utilities, child support, vehicle payments, and any other monthly payments.
e) Bank statements
4. You MUST re-apply for Public Defender representation each time that you are charged with a new offense, or each time you quash a warrant and get a new court date.
5. THERE IS A $10.00 ADMINISTRATIVE FEE TO COMPLETE THE APPLICATION PROCESS. PLEASE BRING THIS WITH YOU WHEN YOU COME TO THE OFFICE OF ASSIGNED COUNSEL. (You will not be denied an interview or counsel if you do not have the $10.00 administrative fee).
If you have any questions, you can call the Office of Assigned Counsel at (360) 416-1690.