HOW TO APPLY FOR PUBLIC DEFENDER REPRESENTATION | ESPANOL
1. The Public Defender's office represents only indigent people. You must meet certain financial guidelines to be appointed a Public Defender. If you qualify for a Public Defender, an attorney will be appointed to represent you for your current case in Superior and/or District Court.
2. Please call the Office of Assigned Counsel at (360) 416-1690 to speak to a financial screener.
BUSINESS HOURS ARE MONDAY-FRIDAY 8:30 A.M. – 4:30 P.M. (CLOSED 12:00-1:00)
SCREENING HOURS ARE CONDUCTED MONDAY-FRIDAY 1:00 P.M. - 4:00 P.M.
3. You should be prepared with the following information when calling for a financial interview:
a) Any paperwork you receive from the court which should contain your case number and the date of your next court appearance.
b) Verification of employment: Current pay stub, Unemployment, Labor and Industries, Filed tax information. If married or living with a partner, you must provide their employment/unemployment information as well.
c) Proof of any public assistance you receive (food stamps/medical benefits, SSI information, VA Benefits).
d) Proof of expenses: Medical/dental payments, Collection agencies, Rent/mortgage, Utilities, Child support, Vehicle payments, and any other monthly payments.
e) Bank statements
4. You MUST re-apply for Public Defender representation each time that you are charged with a new offense, or each time you quash a warrant and get a new court date.
5. If you have any questions, you can call the Office of Assigned Counsel at (360) 416-1690.