November 30, 2018
Romaine Lettuce Health Alert Update
Can I eat romaine again?
- Yes! The FDA has traced the romaine lettuce implicated in the nationwide E.coli outbreak to the Central Coast growing area in central and northern California.
- Hydroponically- and greenhouse-grown romaine does not appear to be related to the current outbreak.
- The Central Coast harvest is now over and lettuce is coming from other areas including Florida, Arizona and Mexico.
- The FDA is working with producers to label lettuce with their growing area to help consumers and retailers identify contaminated produce more quickly to limit future outbreaks and recalls.
- For more information, see https://www.fda.gov/Food/RecallsOutbreaksEmergencies/Outbreaks/ucm626330.htm
For additional details and guidance, see the food safety alert or call Joanne Lynn, Skagit County Public Health at 360-416-1500