Welcome to Skagit County

Global Menu

Welcome to Skagit County


Skagit County Logo

November 8, 2018

Public invited to learn about, comment on preliminary 2019 budget

The Skagit County Board of Commissioners will discuss the preliminary 2019 Skagit County budget Nov. 19. Members of the public are invited to attend the session to learn about the proposed expenditures and share comments prior to a formal public hearing on Dec. 3.

The session is set for 10:30 a.m. Monday, Nov. 19, in the Commissioners Hearing Room, 1800 Continental Place, Mount Vernon. The session will also be shown live on TV21 and livestreamed online at skagitcounty.net/TV21.

The preliminary 2019 budget represents a 4.4 percent increase from the 2018 budget, due in part to capital projects. The 2019 budget adds 7.5 full-time positions, all but one of which are for law and justice. The budget also includes a 1 percent property tax increase to the County’s general fund levy, as well as an anticipated 3 percent increase in sales tax collections.

Significant budget highlights for 2019 include investment in veterans’ housing and affordable housing – each at a cost of $500,000 – as well as design and construction investments for replacement of the Guemes Island Ferry.

The general fund, which supports 27 County departments and most regional services, accounts for roughly 27 percent of the total budget, or $59.4 million. The remaining 73 percent of the budget comes from a combination of special revenue, debt service and capital funds. The County also retains a 16.7 percent general fund reserve, or roughly $9.9 million.

Find more information about the budget online at skagitcounty.net/BudgetFinance.   For questions or more details, please contact Budget and Finance Director Trisha Logue at trishal@co.skagit.wa.us or 360-416-1305.