Skagit County, Washington
August 2, 2017
Applicants sought for Skagit County Planning Commission
New members are invited to apply for a seat on the Skagit County Planning Commission. Currently, terms are ending for planning commissioners from District 1 and District 3.
Interested applicants must reside within the boundaries of District 1 or District 3; residents of all three districts are encouraged to express interest for future vacancies.
To apply, please prepare a letter of interest with the following information:
- Name, physical address, phone number, email address;
- Personal statement, including any applicable expertise and experience;
- Disclosure of membership in, or affiliation with, any relevant interest groups.
Send your application no later than 4:30 p.m. Thursday, August 17, 2017, to the Clerk of the Board of County Commissioners at email@example.com or deliver to 1800 Continental Place, Suite 100, Mount Vernon WA 98273. The Commissioners expect to make appointments in August after application review and interviews.
The Planning Commission works with the Planning and Development Services Department and advises the Department and the Board of County Commissioners on proposed land use plans and regulations in unincorporated Skagit County. The Planning Commission:
- consists of nine members, three from each County Commissioner District, serving four-year terms;
- usually meets on the first Tuesday of the month at 6 pm for an average of three hours;
- meets at the County Commissioners Administrative Building in Mount Vernon;
- is expected to review significant amounts of text in advance and be able to receive documents via email.
The Board of Commissioners strives to ensure that the Planning Commission is a balanced committee representing many different viewpoints. Current Planning Commissioners have backgrounds including real estate, agriculture, business, education, environmental planning, and more.