Welcome to Skagit County

Global Menu

Welcome to Skagit County

Skagit County Logo

March 28, 2019

Applicants sought for Skagit County Board of Equalization

Volunteer members are invited to apply for two vacant positions on the Skagit County Board of Equalization. Letters of interest are being accepted until the position is filled for a member from District 3 and a member to serve as an alternate.

Positions on the Board of Equalization are part-time, quasi-judicial, and charged with the responsibility of deciding appeals concerning property assessments within Skagit County. Terms are three years. The District 3 member must reside within the boundaries of District 3; residents of all three districts are encouraged to express interest for the alternate position.

Generally, the hearings are held in late fall and continue into early spring; the board convenes a minimum of one (1) time per week during the active hearing period.

Qualifications for the Board of Equalization include general knowledge of the area and good oral communication skills. Candidates should be void of any potential conflicts of interest. Persons who have been previously employed by the Assessor may not sit on the board for a period of two years after leaving the Assessor’s Office. Appointed board members must also attend annual training provided by the Washington State Department of Revenue within one year of appointment.

To apply, please submit a letter of interest and resume no later than 4:30 p.m., Friday, April 19, 2019, to the Clerk of the Board of County Commissioners at commissioners@co.skagit.wa.us,  or deliver to 1800 Continental Place, Suite 100, Mount Vernon, WA 98273.

The Board of Equalization is established by state constitution and laws, governed by the Department of Revenue. The Board considers questions of valuation and equalization of property assessments, and provides an impartial citizen forum for property owners with the appeal process regarding disputes in their valuation assessment placed on their property by the county assessor.

Find more information about the Board of Equalization online at: skagitcounty.net/boardofequalization.  For questions or more details, please contact the Skagit County Board of Commissioners, commissioners@co.skagit.wa.us or  360-416-1300.