Clerk's Office

Global Menu

Clerk's Office

Skagit County Clerk: Melissa Beaton
How Do I get a Protection Order | Who Can I Talk With? | Domestic Violence | Sexual Assault | Vulnerable Adults | Anti-Harassment

Sexual Assault Protection Order

A vital new law was put in place in 2006 which allows for Protection Orders to be issued to victims of nonconsensual sexual conduct or penetration. With this law in place, the gap was filled between a domestic violence Protection Order and an Anti-Harassment Protection Order. Victims no longer have to meet the household relationship definition for a Domestic Violence protection Order, or show that the acts had repeatedly happened over a period of time for an Anti Harassment Protection Order. It only has to happen once for a victim to ask the Court for a Sexual Assault Protection Order.

What is Sexual Assault?
It is when you are a victim of nonconsensual sexual conduct or penetration. The definition for sexual conduct is fairly broad and includes improper touching whether the victim is clothed or not.

Who Qualifies for a Civil Sexual Assault Protection Order?
If you do not meet the definitions for a Domestic Violence Protection Order (link) and there has been nonconsensual sexual conduct or penetration with you, your child or a vulnerable adult, the victim qualifies for a Sexual Assault Protection Order. If you are unsure, please call the Clerk's Office at 360-416-1800.

Where do I go to get Sexual Assault Protection Order?
Contact the Prosecutor's Office at 360-416-1600 if there are criminal charges pending. If not, go to the Clerk's Office.

Sexual Assault Protection Orders are free.