Planning and Development Services

Director: Dale Pernula

Skagit County
Planning & Development Services
1800 Continental Place
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
(360) 416-1320
Fax: (360) 336-9416
City of Anacortes
6th & Q - Anacortes, WA 98221
Building (360) 293-1901
Planning (360) 293-1900

City of Burlington
900 Fairhaven Ave - Burlington, WA 98233
Building (360) 755-0077
Planning (360) 755-9717

City of Concrete
232 Main Court - Concrete, WA 98237
(360) 853-8401

Town of Hamilton
584 Maple - Hamilton, WA 98255
(360) 826-3027

Town of LaConner
204 Douglas - LaConner, WA 98257
(360) 466-3125

Town of Lyman
104 E 3rd - Lyman, WA 98263
(360) 826-3033

City of Mount Vernon
317 Milwaukee - Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Building & Planning (360) 336-6214

City of Sedro-Woolley
720 Murdock Street
Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284
(360) 855-0771

Snohomish County
Planning and Development Services
(360) 388-3311 or 1-800-562-4367

Whatcom County
(360) 676-6907
What information do I need to provide for a complete building permit application?
The information required for a complete application can vary depending on the scope of your project. Our Building Permit Application and Checklist outline the information required for all types of building permits. Counter staff will assist you in determining which of these items apply to your project.

An application for a NEW RESIDENCE must include:

__ Lot certification.

__ Completed permit application.

__ Site plan.

__ Residential construction plans or manufactured home installation specifications.

__ Approved sewage source (septic/public sewer).

__ Approved source of potable water

(individual well, community well or public source).

__ Copy of access/driveway permit for county road or state highway.

__ Application for an address.



What fees do I pay and when?
Fees are established by resolution. Refer to Resolution #16189 or the Planning and Development Services Fee Schedule handout. The method used to calculate the building plan review and permit fees is based on a valuation of the structure as determined by the County. Payment may be in the form of cash, check or credit card (Visa or Mastercard).

At time of permit application, the Planning and Development Services staff will calculate and collect plan review, critical area review and enforcement action fees. Fees for other permits such as septic or individual well approval will also be collected.

At time of permit issuance, building permit, mechanical, plumbing, critical area site visit, school district impact fees and any other fees as determined during the review process (for example: commercial projects - drainage review, fire sprinkler plan review) will be collected.

How long will it take to process my application?
Applications are routed to the appropriate staff for review. Initial review takes place within 5 to10 working days from the date of submittal. Actual turn-around-time for permit issuance can depend on a variety of issues including, but not limited to, completeness of application, scope of project, setbacks from critical areas and applicant response time to any requests for additional information.

Submittal Tip!
Plan ahead! Know what it takes for a complete application and submit the required documents and information. Have septic, water, access (driveway) and address permits or approvals completed prior to permit submittal.

Do I need an Architect or Engineer?
An architect or engineer’s stamp is generally not required. Buildings of unusual size or shape, or constructed of alternative materials may require an architect or engineer to "stamp" the plans. A Plans Examiner can help determine this need prior to submittal.
When can I start work?
Site work may begin after the permit has been issued.

Will I need other permits?
Other permits may be required: for example, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, demolition, zoning variance, shoreline, water approval, septic permit.

Will my application expire?
An application is valid for a period of 6 months. Prior to expiration, a letter will be sent to the applicant (or their agent) notifying them the application is about to expire. You may request a one-time 6-month extension or request to withdraw the application. Requests for application extension or withdrawl need to be in writing.

When will my permit expire?
A permit is valid for three years from the date of issuance regardless of inspection frequency. Fees to renew an expired permit are 30% of the cost of a current permit. If plans have been modified from the original approval(s), the applicant pays an additional plan review fee of $50.00 per hour; minimum fee of $50.00.

What inspections will I need?

Inspections can vary for each project. An inspection card will be issued with your permit and may include:

  • Setbacks, foundation footings and walls
  • Framing, plumbing and mechanical
  • Blocking and tie-downs (Manufactured Home)
  • Electrical (inspected by WA State Labor & Industries)
  • Insulation, energy code & drywall
  • Skirting and venting (Manufactured Home)
  • Final occupancy

How do I call for an inspection?
Call our 24-hour inspection request line at (360) 416-1330. Requests called in before 7:30 in the morning get a same day inspection. Guemes Island inspections are scheduled for both Wednesday and Friday mornings. To talk with your inspector call our office between 8:00 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. Monday through Friday.

How do I apply for a building permit?
A Building Permit Application and Checklist are available at Planning and Development Services. Use the building permit checklist to determine what information is required for your project. Determine if the property is a legal lot. See our Lot Certification handout.

Directory of Services
Skagit County Planning & Development Services
1800 Continental Place- Mount Vernon, WA 98273
(360) 416-1320 Fax: (360) 336-9416
Boundary Line Adjustments
Building and Change of Use (Occupancy) Permits
Critical Area Protection
Demolition Permits
Flood Damage Prevention
Forest Practice Conversions
Individual Drilled Well Approvals
Land Divisions
Land Use/Zoning
Lot Certification
Mechanical & Plumbing permits
New Addressing
On-site Sewage Permits
Shoreline Substantial Development Permits and Exemptions
Land Use - Special Use Permits & Variances
Skagit County Health Department
County Administration Building - Room 301
700 South Second Street - Mount Vernon, WA 98273
(360) 336-9380
Alternative water source approvals
Bacteriological Water Analysis
Food Handlers Permit
Public well connection approvals
Skagit County Public Works
1800 Continental Place- Mount Vernon, WA 98273
(360) 416-1400
County Road Access Permits
Historical Flood Data
Private Road Name Approval
Skagit County Fire Marshal
2911 E College Way, Suite B - Mount Vernon, WA 98273
(360) 416-1850 Fax: (360) 428-3255
Access (driveway) Standards
Uniform Fire Code Review
Skagit County Conservation District
2021 East College Way #214 - Mount Vernon, WA 98273
(360) 428-4313
Conservation Planning
Natural Resource related issues from agriculture to forestry
Technical and cost share assistance to private land owners
Skagit County Treasurer
County Courthouse - Room 101
3rd & Kincaid Street/P.O. Box 518 - Mount Vernon, WA 98273
(360) 416-1750
Permit to move Mobile Home on county road
Collection of property taxes

Skagit County Auditor
County Administration Building – Room 201
700 South Second Street - Mount Vernon, WA 98273
(360) 416-1704
Document Recording
Vehicle Licensing
Marriage Licensing
Washington State Department of Labor & Industries
525 East College Way, Suite H - Mount Vernon, WA 98273
(360) 416-3000
Contractor Licensing
Electrical Permits
Blasting Licensing
Business Tax Registration
Manufactured Home Alteration Permits
Washington State Department of Natural Resources
919 North Township - Sedro-Wolley, WA 98284
(360) 856-3500 or 1800-527-3305 ext. 113
Blasting Permits
Forest Practice Permits
Logging Roads
Burning Permit
Washington State Department of Transportation
1783 Cedardale Road - Mount Vernon, WA 98273
(360) 428-1389
Road Maintenance
State Road or Highway Access Permits
Vehicle/Road Move Permits
Washington State Department of Fish & Wildlife
16018 Mill Creek Boulevard - Mill Creek, WA 98012
Mill Creek Office (425) 379-2301
LaConner Office (360) 466-4345 x 252
Hydraulic Project Approval
Washington State Department of Ecology
Northwest Regional Office
3190 160th Ave SE - Bellevue, WA 98008-5452
(425) 649-7000
Water Quality Certification 401
National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permit
Temporary Modification of Water Quality Criteria
Shoreline Conditional Use or Variance Permits
Army Corps of Engineers
Seattle District
P.O. Box 3755 - Seattle, WA 98124
(206) 764-6915
Corps 404 Permit: Discharge of Dredge and Fill Material
Corps Section 10 Permit: Work in Navigable Water
NOTE: Please refer to the Department of Ecology’s "Permit Handbook" publication No. 90-29 for a detailed list of commonly required Environmental Permits for Washington State.