Print View

Public Health

"Always working for a safer and healthier Skagit County"
Director: Jennifer Johnson
Please Note: Effective August 1, 2014,The Tuberculosis Clinic hours of operation will change. The new hours will be Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8:30am to 3:45pm. Check in by 3:30.
Public Health is the science of protecting and improving the health of communities through education, promotion of healthy lifestyles, and research for disease and injury prevention. Public health professionals analyze the effect on health of genetics, personal choice and the environment in order to develop programs that protect the health of your family and community.

Overall, public health is concerned with protecting the health of entire populations. These populations can be as small as a local neighborhood, or as big as an entire country.

Public health professionals try to prevent problems from happening or re-occurring through implementing educational programs, developing policies, administering services, regulating health systems and some health professions, and conducting research, in contrast to clinical professionals, such as doctors and nurses, who focus primarily on treating individuals after they become sick or injured. It is also a field that is concerned with limiting health disparities and a large part of public health is the fight for health care equity, quality, and accessibility.


May 21, 2014:  State Health Department warns consumers not to eat raw clover sprouts from Evergreen Fresh Produce. 

Get Vaccinated for Measles Now

There have been a number of measles cases recently in Washington State. In unrelated cases, residents of Whatcom County, San Juan County and a traveler passing through SeaTac airport were identified as contagious while in and traveling through multiple counties during the past two weeks.

Most people are immune but measles is highly contagious even before the rash starts, and is easily spread when an infected person breathes, coughs, or sneezes — if you're not vaccinated, you can get the measles just by walking into a room where someone with the disease has been in the past couple of hours. Consult your health care provider for more information. The two links below provide more information.

Food Worker Cards Available Online

Do you work in Food Service? Food Worker cards are required for any employee in a food service establishment. Do you need to obtain a food worker card or renew an existing one? It is now more convenient than ever!

Skagit County Public Health Department is pleased to announce an Online Food Worker Card Class. Participants can take the training and test, pay by credit card and print out a food worker card from any computer. Follow this link: The video and test are available in multiple languages on this site. The Health Department will continue to offer testing at our Mount Vernon office Monday - Friday 8:30 AM - 3:00 PM.

For more information, check Food Worker Card Frequently Asked Questions on our website or call the Health Department food safety staff at 360-336-9474.

Vaccination Planning
The Health Department has walk in hours. The walk in clinic is open Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 9am to 3:30 pm (travelers MUST check in NO later than 2:30). Travelers may come to the walk in clinic for vaccinations and consultations. No appointments are necessary. We carry all domestic and travel vaccines. Our address is 700 South 2nd St. Administration Building, Room 301. It is in the courthouse complex downtown Mount Vernon. Phone (360) 336-9477.

Administration, Food & Beverage Testing, Vital Statistics: (360) 336-9380 *
Nursing Clinics and Personal Health Services: (360) 336-9477 *
FAX: (360) 336 9401

Environmental Public Health
1800 Continental Place
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Environmental Health: (360) 336-9474 *
FAX: (360) 419-3408

*See Program and Services Guide for specific phone numbers and hours
Health Department Services Guide
English | Spanish
To report a
or an
call 911

Program Homepage

Learn How Your Septic System Works and How To Take Care of it with